Item request has been placed! ×
Item request cannot be made. ×
loading   Processing Request
  • Additional Information
    • Alternate Title:
    • Abstract:
      The predominant criteria for defining and identifying races of the genetic complex of Zea mays L. are based on morphological and agronomic attributes along with geographic distribution. In some occasions these present inconsistencies with respect to the authentic genetic identity of the populations. The molecular methods can reveal in detail the identity and variability of individuals and populations through genetic footprints, thus their application in the identification and characterization of races offers advantages. The objective of the present study was to determine the genetic diversity of maize landraces of northern Mexico through microsatellites. The diversity, allelic profile and genetic structure of eight maize landraces of northern Mexico (Apachito, Azul, Cónico Norteño, Cristalino de Chihuahua, Ratón and Tuxpeño Norteño) and one of teosinte (Zea mays ssp. parviglumis Iltis and Doebley)) were determined by means of analysis of microsatellites (SSR). Twenty-five individuals of 63 accessions of the abovementioned races were evaluated using 31 loci of SSR. The parameters of genetic diversity estimated were total number of alleles, number of alleles per locus, proportion of polymorphic loci, expected heterozygosity and genetic structure of the populations using the Wright's F-statistics. The distribution of diversity was determined through principal coordinates and cluster analyses. In total 570 alleles were found, with an average of 18.3 per locus and 87.9 % of polymorphic loci. A 75.6 % of the genetic diversity resides within the populations of the maize races cultivated in northern Mexico and the remaining 24.4 % among populations of these races. The molecular markers grouped the accessions in races in a form that was only partially concordant with respect to the traditional classification. [ABSTRACT FROM AUTHOR]
    • Abstract:
      Los criterios predominantes para definir e identificar razas del complejo genético de Zea mays L. se basan en atributos morfológicos, agronómicos y de distribución geográfica. En algunas ocasiones estos presentan inconsistencias de la auténtica identidad genética de las poblaciones. Los métodos moleculares pueden revelar detalladamente la identidad y variabilidad de individuos y poblaciones mediante las huellas genéticas, por lo que su aplicación en la identificación y caracterización de razas confiere ventajas. El objetivo del presente estudio fue determinar la diversidad genética de maíces nativos del norte de México mediante microsatélites. La diversidad, el perfil alélico y la estructura genética de ocho razas de maíz nativas del norte de México (Apachito, Azul, Cónico Norteño, Cristalino de Chihuahua, Gordo, Palomero de Chihuahua, Ratón y Tuxpeño Norteño) y una de teocintle (Zea mays ssp. parviglumis Iltis y Doebley)) se determinó con análisis de microsatélites (SSR). Veinticinco individuos de 63 recolectas, de las razas señaladas, se evaluaron mediante 31 loci de SSR. Los parámetros de diversidad genética estimados fueron número total de alelos, número de alelos por locus, proporción de loci polimórficos, heterocigosidad esperada y estructura genética de las poblaciones por medio de los estadísticos F de Wright. La distribución de la diversidad se determinó mediante análisis de coordenadas principales y de conglomerados. En total se encontraron 570 alelos, con promedio de 18.3 por locus y 87.9 % de loci polimórficos. El 75.6 % de la diversidad genética reside dentro de las poblaciones de las razas de maíz cultivadas en el norte de México y el restante 24.4 % entre las mismas. Los marcadores moleculares agruparon a las colectas en razas de una forma concordante solo de manera parcial con respecto a la clasificación tradicional. [ABSTRACT FROM AUTHOR]
    • Abstract:
      Copyright of Agrociencia is the property of Colegio de Postgraduados and its content may not be copied or emailed to multiple sites or posted to a listserv without the copyright holder's express written permission. However, users may print, download, or email articles for individual use. This abstract may be abridged. No warranty is given about the accuracy of the copy. Users should refer to the original published version of the material for the full abstract. (Copyright applies to all Abstracts.)